- Halliburton announced that it has been awarded contracts for offshore drilling services in the South China Sea, according to Business Wire.
- Over at the Associated Press, over a hundred villagers in Eastern China have contracted lead poisoning from a local battery plant.
- Reuters reports that Kenya opened up Africa’s first carbon exchange program on Thursday.
- A Department of Defense task force charged with helping Afghanistan tap into its mineral wealth is being curtailed and folded into USAID, according to the Washington Post.
- The U.S. State Department may cut its greenhouse gas emissions by 30 percent of 2008 levels by next year, United Press International reports.
An independent, nonpartisan and nonprofit organization that develops strong, pragmatic and principled national security and defense policies.