Digital Communication Specialist
The Center for a New American Security (CNAS) seeks a Digital Communication Specialist to create and execute a social media strategy for the Center, publish web content, manage multimedia production, oversee email marketing, and plan and oversee event audiovisual setup. This is not an entry-level position. This position will report to CNAS’ Director of Communication.
The successful candidate will be creative, organized, collaborative, technically adept, and ready to push the envelope. The successful candidate need not possess all the attributes below, but should have core competencies in social media and website management, and be willing and eager to learn additional skills.
Web presence and multimedia
- Produce digital media content and serve as brand voice for key CNAS audiences;
- Review digital content for grammar/spelling to ensure accuracy, consistency, tone, style, and branding;
- Manage the production, editing, and promotion of CNAS podcasts and videos;
- Recommend topics and series for CNAS podcasts and videos;
- Publish and update content on the CNAS website, including press items, reports, biographies, events, images, and project pages;
- Serve as in-house technical expert for CNAS website and work with web developer to troubleshoot technical issues.
- Develop and implement a social media strategy for CNAS content and brand to increase our relevance to existing audiences and visibility with new audiences;
- Craft and execute social media outreach plans for CNAS experts for their reports, events, and commentaries;
- Keep detailed metrics on CNAS social media and traditional media profiles;
- Drive strategies proven by metrics and use analytics to identify trends, assess data, and enhance content performance and traffic.
Email and paid marketing
- Publish, manage, and review paid digital media campaigns;
- Promote CNAS research through email campaigns for report rollouts, event invitations, and commentaries;
- Manage relationship with email marketing vendor;
- Ensure data integration between Salesforce CRM and Campaign Monitor marketing platform.
- Work with external video production team to run A/V at large, public events hosted at the CNAS office and external venues;
- Manage the development of the CNAS annual conference app, working with external developer, CNAS researchers, and CNAS Creative Director.
Administrative and other
- Manage Communications intern on relevant tasks;
- Work seamlessly with Director of Communications, CNAS executive team, senior researchers, and research associates on CNAS and individual social media objectives;
- Serve as in-house photographer for staff headshots and internal events;
- Manage Swivle, a digital asset management software, ensuring all images are loaded, tagged, and regularly updated for the Center use.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- An undergraduate degree is required.
- 3-6 years’ experience in digital communications.
- Flexibility in scheduling to work occasional evening events.
- Experience with various website content management systems, such as Wordpress and other pre-built website templates.
- Extensive experience on all social media platforms, especially Twitter and YouTube.
- Experience using Google analytics and other metrics gathering tools.
- Experience using Campaign Monitor for email marketing.
- Experience using Salesforce and integrating with email marketing software.
- Familiarity with state of the art podcast production methods and software.
- Experience in website editing and management.
- HTML and CSS familiarity a plus.
- Experience using Adobe Photoshop to edit and export assets for web and social media.
- Experience in audio/video production and management.
- Ability to work independently under tight deadlines and collaboratively across programs.
- Interest in national security issues and policy preferred.
Candidates are chosen based on merit in an open, competitive process. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or national origin.
The Center for a New American Security (CNAS) develops bold, innovative, and bipartisan national security and defense policies that promote and protect American interests and values. Building on the deep expertise and broad experience of its staff and advisors, CNAS engages policymakers, experts and the public with innovative fact-based research, ideas and analysis to shape and elevate the national security debate. As an independent and bipartisan research institution, CNAS leads efforts to help inform and prepare the national security leaders of today and tomorrow. CNAS is located in Washington, D.C., and was established in February 2007.
CNAS is accepting online applications only. Candidates must apply online using this link:
A complete application must include a cover letter explaining interest in and qualifications for the position and a résumé or CV.
All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or national origin.