Finance and Operations Assistant
The Center for a New American Security (CNAS) seeks to hire a Finance and Operations Assistant. The person in this position will work closely with the Director of Finance and Accounting and the Director of Operations to contribute to the daily operations of the Center.
This position will be comprised of duties throughout the field of nonprofit management, including but not limited to accounting, finance, human resources, and information technology. The ideal candidate will have a background in one or more of these areas in addition to a can-do attitude and willingness to learn on the job as needed.
CNAS’ top priority is ensuring the safety, health, and welfare of its employees, affiliates, guests, and partners. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, CNAS has shifted its operating status to remote telework and its physical office is closed. The individual in this position will work in accordance with CNAS operating status, as adjusted in response to COVID-19, including working remotely through use of electronic and virtual technologies. As CNAS adjusts its operating status in the future to include re-opening the physical office, the individual in this position will be expected to be physically present in the Washington, D.C., area and maintain a physical presence in the office. CNAS does not offer relocation assistance.
Responsibilities and Qualifications
The following is an overview of primary responsibilities and qualifications. Other tasks may be required, and responsibilities may vary over time.
- Collect invoices and process bills on a weekly basis;
- Reconcile monthly credit card expenditures;
- Provide annual audit support;
- Manage individual state registrations;
- Quality control annual 1099 forms;
- Perform general bookkeeping tasks as needed.
- Manage office supply orders to keep supply rooms and kitchens fully stocked;
- Liaise with building staff and vendors to maintain office facilities.
General Administrative Duties
- Represent CNAS and staff at the front desk, to include:
- Greet office guests as they arrive to meet with CNAS staff;
- Maintain the main CNAS phone line and voicemail;
- Maintain the email@example.com mailbox.
- Amplify the Center’s recruiting efforts by posting job descriptions to colleges, universities, and job networks;
- Schedule interviews and meetings to coordinate hiring processes;
- Assist with the onboarding and offboarding of personnel.
- Assist colleagues by troubleshooting technology issues with the Center’s programs or systems.
- Participate in the Center’s hiring processes, including interviews and new staff orientation;
- Contribute to staffing Center events as needed;
- Attend internal meetings and events;
- Represent CNAS externally;
- Execute other duties as required.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in a relevant area of study (accounting, business administration, finance, etc.);
- Uncompromising attention to detail;
- Excellent time management, organizational, and problem-solving skills;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills;
- Willingness and ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Experience using Microsoft Office suite applications;
- Experience using macOS and iOS devices;
- Legal right to work in the United States.
The Center for a New American Security develops bold, innovative, and bipartisan national security and defense policies that promote and protect American interests and values. Building on the deep expertise and broad experience of its staff and advisors, CNAS engages policymakers, experts, and the public with innovative fact-based research, ideas, and analysis to shape and elevate the national security debate. As an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit research organization, CNAS leads efforts to help inform and prepare the national security leaders of today and tomorrow. CNAS is located in Washington, D.C.
CNAS is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
CNAS is accepting online applications only. Apply online using this link:
A complete application will include a cover letter explaining the candidate’s interest in and qualifications for the position, together with a résumé or CV.