Graphic Design Consultant
The Center for a New American Security (CNAS) Graphic Design Consultant works directly with the Creative Director to further CNAS’ goal of educating public debate on key policy issues. The designers work closely with the researchers to produce a variety of visual products for web and print. The Graphic Design Consultant will get the opportunity to work on a variety of research products such as project and event branding, infographics, custom illustrations, maps and charts, report design and layout, and motion graphics.
Skills & Experience
- 2+ years of design experience, primarily in print, with some experience designing for web and social media
- Strong attention to detail and demonstrated abilities in typography, layout design, and branding
- Demonstrated design and production experience on a wide variety of products from printed reports to event banners to name tags
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite software programs with specific experience using:
- Adobe Illustrator to create basic illustrations, icons, information graphics, charts and maps;
- Adobe Photoshop for photo editing, headshot touchups, stock photography, and resize/format for various outputs (web and print)
- Adobe InDesign for long form, report layout and with an understanding of how to use style sheets and apply typesetting in a long report/book
- Fluency of Microsoft Office programs and Mac operating system
- Experience working in After Effects and basic motion graphics a plus
- Highly organized with the ability to handle multiple projects and priorities
- Ability to work efficiently and independently
- Familiarity with image usage rights
- Interest in and basic understanding of U.S. foreign policy and international relations
- May - June 2018, full time
- July - August 2018, part time *week of 4th of July our office is closed
- September - October 2018, full time
Candidates interested in applying must submit a resume and portfolio of work (website or pdf). Apply online using this link:
The Center for a New American Security (CNAS) develops strong, pragmatic and principled national security and defense policies that promote and protect American interests and values. Building on the deep expertise and broad experience of its staf and advisors, CNAS engages policymakers, experts and the public with innovative fact-based research, ideas and analysis to shape and elevate the national security debate. As an independent and bipartisan research institution, CNAS leads efforts to help inform and prepare the national security leaders of today and tomorrow. CNAS is located in Washington, D.C., and was established in February 2007.
CNAS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, or other protected status, in accordance with federal, state and local law.