Legal Intern Spring 2024
The Center for a New American Security (CNAS), a research institution dedicated to developing strong, principled and pragmatic national security and defense policy prescriptions for a wide audience of security experts, practitioners, and citizens, seeks a legal intern to support its General Counsel in providing advice and counsel to CNAS executive leadership and staff.
- Legal research and analysis in areas including, but not limited to, contracts, compliance, ethics, cybersecurity, privacy or additional fields relevant to managing a non-profit organization;
- Conducting policy and legislative research in support of public engagement and scholarship on issues related to national and homeland security, intelligence law and congressional oversight.
- Open to 2L or 3Ls, only;
- Excellent and demonstrated competency in online legal research and writing required;
- Prior experience as a research assistant, law clerk or legal assistant, as well as competency in conducting legislative research preferred;
- Interest in issues of national security desired;
- Participation in JD law school-supported externship for academic credit;
- Legal right to work in the United States.
Commitment and Location
- 10-15 hours per week spread over 2-3 days per week (one day must be Tuesday);
- 10 weeks during the Spring 2024 academic semester;
- Preference for availability to work in person at CNAS offices in Washington DC, however, remote applicants will be considered for law students outside of the D.C. metropolitan area.
The Center for a New American Security develops bold, innovative, and bipartisan national security and defense policies that promote and protect American interests and values. Building on the deep expertise and broad experience of its staff and advisors, CNAS engages policymakers, experts, and the public with innovative fact-based research, ideas, and analysis to shape and elevate the national security debate. As an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit research organization, CNAS leads efforts to help inform and prepare the national security leaders of today and tomorrow. CNAS is located in Washington, D.C.
CNAS is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Complete applications should include a one-page cover letter and a résumé or CV by November 17, 2023.
Online applications will be accepted at: https://cnas.bamboohr.com/careers/101