Washington, February 3 – In advance of Dr. Ashton Carter’s upcoming nomination hearing to be Secretary of Defense, experts from the Center for a New American Security (CNAS) have produced a series of commentaries outlining the key issues the 25th Secretary of Defense will face. The commentaries – including one from CNAS CEO Michèle Flournoy – recommend future courses of action for the Department of Defense.
The complete set of commentaries is available here:http://www.cnas.org/ideastoaction
Below, please find a list of CNAS experts and the topics they address in this series:
- Shawn Brimley, Jerry Hendrix, and Paul Scharre discuss defense procurement priorities
- Michèle Flournoy, Phil Carter, and Katherine Kidder describe an agenda for defense reform
- Ilan Goldenberg and Nicholas Heras discuss ISIS and Iran
- Patrick Cronin, Van Jackson, and Alexander Sullivan discuss the U.S. rebalance to Asia
- Julianne Smith and Jacob Stokes discuss engagement with Europe
- Elbridge Colby discusses America’s nuclear arsenal
In introducing the commentaries, Ms. Flournoy said, “When confirmed, Dr. Ashton Carter will face an extraordinarily complex set of challenges, all of which require strong leadership and urgent attention. CNAS is proud to be a resource for policymakers working to protect and advance the nation's interests. This set of commentaries aims to highlight several of the most important issues facing the Department of Defense and our men and women in uniform. We hope our work helps to shape and elevate the debate in the halls of the Pentagon and on Capitol Hill."