It is a truism that gender plays an unavoidable role in matters of peace and security. Against this backdrop, this conversation reflected on how men and women are differently targeted and affected by conflict situations; the link between gender inequality, politically motivated violence and resultant security politics and conflict resolution mechanisms; why women are underrepresented in leadership positions in academia and policymaking; and what objectives implementing a gender bias serves.
- Houda Cherif, President, Connecting Group Tunisia
- Rachel Rizzo, Research Associate, Transatlantic Security Program, Center for a New American Security
- Bi-Khim Hsiao, Senior Adviser, The Prospect Foundation, Taiwan
- Li Li, Deputy Director, South Asia, Southeast Asia and Oceania Institute, CICIR
- Lucy Shule, Lecturer and Director of Studies, National Defence College, Tanzania
- Riina Kaljurand, Research Fellow, International Centre for Defence and Security
- Ritika Passi, Project Editor & Associate Fellow, Observer Research Foundation (moderator)
More from CNAS
CommentaryConverging Chinese and Russian Disinformation Compounds Threat to Democracy
In recent weeks the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) propaganda and disinformation blitz around COVID-19 has drawn increasing attention, and with good reason. In addition to pr...
By Andrea Kendall-Taylor & David Shullman
PodcastReflecting on Five Years in the U.S., with Finnish Amb. Kirsti Kauppi
Kirsti Kauppi joins Andrea Kendall-Taylor and Jim Townsend to discuss her time as Finland’s Ambassador to the United States, Finland’s response to COVID-19, and more. Amb. Kau...
By Andrea Kendall-Taylor, Jim Townsend & Amb. Kirsti Kauppi
PodcastPutin’s 20 Years in Power, with Mike Carpenter
Mike Carpenter joins Andrea Kendall-Taylor and Jim Townsend to discuss lessons learned from Vladimir Putin’s time in office, how Putin views the United States, and more. Dr. C...
By Andrea Kendall-Taylor, Jim Townsend & Mike Carpenter
PodcastBritain's Post-COVID Foreign Policy with Edward Ferguson
Edward Ferguson joins Andrea Kendall-Taylor and Jim Townsend to discuss the United Kingdom’s COVID-19 response, post-pandemic foreign policy, and more. Ferguson is the Ministe...
By Andrea Kendall-Taylor, Jim Townsend & Edward Ferguson