It is a truism that gender plays an unavoidable role in matters of peace and security. Against this backdrop, this conversation reflected on how men and women are differently targeted and affected by conflict situations; the link between gender inequality, politically motivated violence and resultant security politics and conflict resolution mechanisms; why women are underrepresented in leadership positions in academia and policymaking; and what objectives implementing a gender bias serves.
- Houda Cherif, President, Connecting Group Tunisia
- Rachel Rizzo, Research Associate, Transatlantic Security Program, Center for a New American Security
- Bi-Khim Hsiao, Senior Adviser, The Prospect Foundation, Taiwan
- Li Li, Deputy Director, South Asia, Southeast Asia and Oceania Institute, CICIR
- Lucy Shule, Lecturer and Director of Studies, National Defence College, Tanzania
- Riina Kaljurand, Research Fellow, International Centre for Defence and Security
- Ritika Passi, Project Editor & Associate Fellow, Observer Research Foundation (moderator)
More from CNAS
PodcastCrackdown Ahead of Duma Elections, with Russian Opposition Member Dmitry Gudkov and Maria Snegovaya
What does the Kremlin’s crackdown ahead of the recent Duma elections tell us about the current domestic political situation in Russia? Russian opposition leader Dmitri Gudkov ...
By Andrea Kendall-Taylor, Jim Townsend, Dmitri Gudkov & Maria Snegovaya
PodcastThe Ongoing Crisis in Belarus, with David Kramer and Brian Whitmore
What does the evolving political situation in Belarus mean for U.S. and European interests? Brian Whitmore and David Kramer join Andrea Kendall-Taylor and Jim Townsend to disc...
By Andrea Kendall-Taylor, Jim Townsend, David J. Kramer & Brian Whitmore
CommentaryBrussels Should Follow Biden’s Lead in Engaging Russia
EU leaders should emulate Washington’s Russia strategy of balancing engagement with upholding core values....
By Nicholas Lokker
ReportsA Limited Partnership
Executive Summary The last several years have seen a worrisome increase in tensions in the Mediterranean involving age-old rivals such as Turkey, Greece, and Cyprus, as well a...
By Jim Townsend, Andrea Kendall-Taylor, David Shullman & Gibbs McKinley