As the 2016 election cycle moves into full swing, four CNAS experts lay out a comprehensive overview of issues facing the veteran and military community and a plan with substantive recommendations for how the next President can best serve the veteran and military community.
The report is authored by Military, Veterans, and Society Program Director Phillip Carter, Adjunct Fellow Jason Dempsey, Bacevich Fellow Katherine Kidder, and Research Assistant Amy Schafer.
Key recommendations of the report include:
- Continued focus by the next administration on immediate issues such as access to health care, transition to civilian employment, and support to veterans in crisis (like those facing homelessness or legal problems).
- Structural reform of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to better serve veterans, including better alignment of the VA’s resources and requirements.
- Expanded data sharing between the government, private, and non-profit sectors that enables needs assessment, resource allocation, and future planning.
- Elimination of barriers to public-private-nonprofit partnerships that could help veterans better succeed in civilian life.
- Identification of normative outcomes, and rigorous evaluation of how public, private and nonprofit programs perform against these outcomes.
More from CNAS
Executive Summary The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) estimates that there are 21.6 million veterans living in the United States, making up 6.7 percent of the general popu...
By Katherine L. Kuzminski, Amy Schafer, Phillip Carter, Moira Fagan, Jeesue Lee & Andrew Swick
What’s Really Going On With Veteran Employment?
After 15 years of war, there are big questions over how well the men and women who serve the country are faring after military service. The Center for a New American Security ...
By Amy Schafer & Andrew Swick
An assessment by the CNAS Military, Veterans, and Society Program finds that Dallas-Fort Worth area veterans face diverse challenges including access to VA services, economics...
By Phillip Carter, Katherine L. Kuzminski & Amy Schafer
ReportsCNAS Needs Assessment
Senior Fellow Phillip Carter and Bacevich Fellow Katherine Kidder author a study on Southwest Pennsylvania's veterans community, drawing upon data from the Department of Defen...
By Katherine L. Kuzminski & Phillip Carter