Dr. Andrea Kendall-Taylor and Rachel Rizzo take Brussels Sprouts on the road in this special edition of the podcast recorded live from the April 3 NATO Engages conference hosted by the Atlantic Council, German Marshall Fund, and Munich Security Conference. This special episode shares the insights of some of the most prominent voices on transatlantic relations. Experts shared their thoughts with us about whether the alliance is in crisis, the most critical challenges facing NATO, and why they’re optimistic about NATO’s future. This episode features commentary (in order of appearance) from:
- Lithuanian Foreign Minister Linas Linkevičius
- Stanislava Mladenova, a former member of the NATO international staff
- Dr. Jim Goldgeier, Visiting Senior Fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations
- Damir Marusic, Executive Editor of The American Interest
- Ambassador Sorin Ducaru, Senior Fellow at the Hudson Institute and Former Assistant Secretary General for Emerging Security Challenges at NATO
- Ambassador Sandy Vershbow, former Deputy Secretary General of NATO and former U.S. Ambassador to Russia
- Benjamin Haddad, Director of the Future Europe Initiative at the Atlantic Council
- Dr. Tom Wright, Director of the Center on the United States and Europe at the Brookings Institution
- Ambassador Doug Lute, former U.S. Permanent Representative to NATO and a Senior Fellow at Harvard Kennedy School’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs
- Dr. Constanze Stelzenmüller, Robert Bosch Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institution
- Rachel Hoff, Policy Director at the Ronald Reagan Institute
- Dr. Gale Mattox, a Professor at the U.S. Naval Academy and Director of the Foreign & Domestic Policy Program at the American Institute for Contemporary German Studies
- Karlijn Jans, a Dutch defense expert
- Camille Grand, Assistant Secretary General for Defense Investment at NATO
- Ambassador Azita Raji, former U.S. Ambassador to Sweden
More from CNAS
NATO’s Security Guarantees for Ukraine
As NATO prepares for its annual summit in Vilnius this July, one of the biggest topics on the agenda will be how to guarantee long-term security for Ukraine. Given that member...
By Andrea Kendall-Taylor, Jim Townsend, Liana Fix & Eric Ciaramella
Putin’s Shakespearean Demons
Imagine the condition in the heart of Europe today had NATO’s boundaries remained frozen after 1989....
By Robert D. Kaplan
Assessing NATO’s Evolving Role
Over the past year, Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has reinvigorated NATO, with the presence of major war on the European continent highlighting the alliance’s importance for co...
By Andrea Kendall-Taylor, Jim Townsend, Benedetta Berti & David Cattler
The View from Berlin: Transatlantic Relations in 2023
To continue our “New Year” series on Brussels Sprouts, we turn to the state of transatlantic relations going into 2023. The past year has demanded extensive coordination betwe...
By Andrea Kendall-Taylor, Carisa Nietsche, Sophia Besch & Wolfgang Ischinger